Skip to main content

Oh-So-Easy Coconut Tres Leches Cake

What is better than a girls weekend?

Maybe a girls weekend in a far off location with an amazing view?

Or maybe a girls weekend, in a far off location, with an amazing view, and a killer dessert!

I just got home from spending  the weekend in Leadville, Colorado, nestled between two 14'ers (Mt. Elbert and Mt. Massive), with a few very important people in my life. We spent time hiking, fishing, shopping, and cooking for each other.

I made this super yummy Coconut Tres Leches Cake for dessert.

This cake is as simple as making a box mix but it taste like it was so much harder than that!


My family loves the taste of coconut but they do not love coconut. So when I found this mix from Duncan Hines I knew I was going to try and make a Tres Leches Cake with it. Unfortunately, the first time I found this mix I was on vacation with my family. I have not been able to find it around my home. Luckily for me, my husband recently brought me home six boxes from a fishing trip!

I prepared the cake by using the directions on the back of the box and in a 9x13 inch pan. {By the way, baking at 10,200 feet is slightly different than at 1,026 feet!}

After the cake cooled, I took a fork and poked a lot of holes into the cake.


Next, I mixed three milks together. I used Sweetened Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk, and 2% Milk.  My idol, The Pioneer Woman suggests using Whipping Cream as the third milk. While I have no doubt that is divine, I opted for something I had on hand.


In a bowl, mix together the entire can of Sweetened Condensed Milk, the entire can of Evaporated Milk, and then 1/4 cup of milk.  I whisked them together and using a measuring cup, I poured them over the baked cake.


I know you are going to be thinking there is no way you can get that much liquid into the cake but I promise that cake is going to soak it all up! Afterwards, you need to top the cake. If I were making this cake at home, I would whip up some homemade whipped topping but since I was not at home, did not have my stand mixer, and was above 10,200 feet I opted for store bought whipped topping.

I simply spread the thawed whipped topping on top of the cake. I prefer to top the cake with fresh strawberries, but we did not have any of those. The Pioneer Woman suggest Maraschino Cherries, but again, we did not have a bottle of those. So, I used fresh, pitted Bing Cherries. Get creative on those topping. I am thinking next time I might use Mango's!


I promise, this cake will be easy to make and taste like you spent a lot more effort on it!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband. He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly! So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself. I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough! I visited the local hardware store for the supplies: An exterior post lantern light 2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece) A 3 inch toilet flange A 3 inch to 2 inch Reducer PVC Glue A 12 foot electric cord kit 2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand: White Spray Paint 3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC Pipe Drill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch) Tent Stakes The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black i

Tonsillectomy (Warning Photos!)

The Short Chic came down with a pretty nasty case of strep throat back in April. So, when The Boy started complaining about his throat hurting about 12 days later, I was pretty confident that he had inherited his sister's strep. Instead, The Boy was diagnosed with a peritonsillar abscess growing on his right tonsil.  We had to immediately see an ENT  Physician who took a needle and drained the abscess. He removed about 5.5 cc of puss from The Boys throat.and then told us that once you have a peritonsillar abscess you were high risk to keep getting them. The Boy's tonsils were now compromised and needed to be removed.  We were told to plan for a two week recovery so we worked a surgery into our summer plans. Between family vacations, summer sports, and the beginning of school The Boy had his second surgery. A tonsillectomy.  Pre-surgery prepping went well. It must be nice to be young and have healthy veins for an IV! The Boy had lots of pre-surgery visitors. My

Liver Cheese: A Family Tradition

Today is an anniversary date. One of those dates you wish you did not have to remember but there is no way you can forget.  Fifteen years ago today,two days after his birthday, my father died of lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker and his cancer was aggressive. His battle was short. He fought for six short months after his diagnosis. He knew the chemo was not working and that his time was limited. When he came to this realization he became the best dad in the world.                                                In the days before my father's passing, my family shared some memorable moments. One of those moments centers around the deli meat: Liver Cheese.I would not be surprised if you have never heard of it, or even never tasted it. But I was raised on it as it was one of my Dad's favorite things.  What is it? Well, it is a German food that is actually called Leberkase. It is bacon, corned beef, pork, and onion that is ground together and baked. It comes with a