Skip to main content

Making Choices

"Choice, not destiny determines your future."

 I am on vacation this week.  Being on Weight Watchers brings a whole new perspective to vacations.
 Historically, vacations mean free reign over eating. I would eat large meals, have snacks, and of course, dessert! By the time vacation would be over, I would be up another ten pounds. This time I wanted to do it differently.

 I read this quote on some Weight Watchers material and I let it be my guide. For everything.

1. We are staying in a condo, miles away from restaurants, so eating-in is our best option. I planned a menu. It included healthier options for me. For example, extra lean ground turkey for me when the family had hamburgers. Or a bowl of whole grain cereal and a banana while the family had biscuits and gravy.

 2. This is a huge resort in the Ozark Mountains. They provide free shuttle service to and from places. I chose to walk most of the places I went to. Including up large hills!

3. There are at least six swimming pools on property. {Confession time: I have a huge phobia of getting my face in the water!} In the past, IF I got in the water, it was to waist level and I just stood there trying to not get splashed! But not this trip! I put on a pair of goggles and took off swimming {fear of swimming did not equal a lack of knowledge about how to swim}. Oh boy, have I swam this week!

4. Controlled temptation, without depriving myself! I love to make yummy food for others, and that includes desserts. I want to find a way of having desserts in my life in a healthy way. I have made and had two desserts this week. They were yummy and rich! But, I only had them each once. I did not have several servings of them. And I increased my activity on those days. After boating, my father-in-law purchased everyone ice cream. Not just ice cream but king sized ice cream bars {The Short Chic's bar was the "winner" with only 280 calories vs The Boy's which had nearly 500!}. I totally passed on the ice cream.
AND, the resort has a cookie lady. She comes by your room every night and delivers fresh baked cookies. I consumed zero cookies on the entire trip!


 5. Redefined pleasure! My husband and his father are big breakfast eaters and makers. Their breakfast includes: has browns {starch}, biscuits {starch}, gravy {starch}, eggs, ketchup, and toast {starch}!On the morning of our boating day, my husband wakes up and makes a big breakfast. I had whole grain cereal, a banana, and skim milk {5 points}. As we were eating, my Father-in-law says to me, "Pamela, I am really sorry you are missing this wonderful breakfast." {I will say he was being sincere, the thought of eating cold cereal would be the last thing he would ever consider eating!} My response to him, was that when I weighed in on Thursday morning and saw that weight loss recorded on my paper, then he could feel sorry for me! A longer term goal out-weighed a moment!


 6. Sought out assistance. I am on vacation in the Ozark Mountains and the second thing I planned out {the food menu being number one} was where is the closest Weight Watchers Meeting! Thursday morning my husband and I got up, arranged for supervision of the kiddo's, and drove forty-five minutes to the nearest meeting site.

This is my third weigh-in. I lost 2.8 pounds this week. And I was on vacation! My total weight loss in two weeks is 6.6 pounds! A friend of mine posted a question on facebook yesterday, it asked "when was the last time you did something new?"

Now, I can say I lost weight on vacation!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband. He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly! So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself. I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough! I visited the local hardware store for the supplies: An exterior post lantern light 2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece) A 3 inch toilet flange A 3 inch to 2 inch Reducer PVC Glue A 12 foot electric cord kit 2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand: White Spray Paint 3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC Pipe Drill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch) Tent Stakes The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black i

Tonsillectomy (Warning Photos!)

The Short Chic came down with a pretty nasty case of strep throat back in April. So, when The Boy started complaining about his throat hurting about 12 days later, I was pretty confident that he had inherited his sister's strep. Instead, The Boy was diagnosed with a peritonsillar abscess growing on his right tonsil.  We had to immediately see an ENT  Physician who took a needle and drained the abscess. He removed about 5.5 cc of puss from The Boys throat.and then told us that once you have a peritonsillar abscess you were high risk to keep getting them. The Boy's tonsils were now compromised and needed to be removed.  We were told to plan for a two week recovery so we worked a surgery into our summer plans. Between family vacations, summer sports, and the beginning of school The Boy had his second surgery. A tonsillectomy.  Pre-surgery prepping went well. It must be nice to be young and have healthy veins for an IV! The Boy had lots of pre-surgery visitors. My

Liver Cheese: A Family Tradition

Today is an anniversary date. One of those dates you wish you did not have to remember but there is no way you can forget.  Fifteen years ago today,two days after his birthday, my father died of lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker and his cancer was aggressive. His battle was short. He fought for six short months after his diagnosis. He knew the chemo was not working and that his time was limited. When he came to this realization he became the best dad in the world.                                                In the days before my father's passing, my family shared some memorable moments. One of those moments centers around the deli meat: Liver Cheese.I would not be surprised if you have never heard of it, or even never tasted it. But I was raised on it as it was one of my Dad's favorite things.  What is it? Well, it is a German food that is actually called Leberkase. It is bacon, corned beef, pork, and onion that is ground together and baked. It comes with a