Skip to main content

Missouri Camper Award




As winter starts to settle into our Midwest home we received great news this week that reminds us of all of our summer fun.  Hopefully you read about our goal of earning a Missouri Camper Award as I shared our Tour of Missouri travels this past summer.   In order to obtain the award, campers have to visit five different state parks in a year. 


I learned about the award doing one of the things that I do best. Reading. My friend Angie and I were sitting together at a picnic table on one of our early camping trips to a state park. I was reading the brochure the camp host handed us at check-in and found a tiny paragraph about earning the camper award. It looked simple, camp in five different state parks in one year and earn a patch. Our geek-ness took over and Angie and I decided we wanted the award! 

The Missouri Camper Award was actually started in 1971 with only 13 recipients. Each year the program has grown to reach nearly 600 recipients in 2011. 





This was our first year to try and obtain the award. Upon checking into our first state park this year, we asked the host for the form and we were on our way. We had a great time exploring new state parks as well as visiting some old favorites. In 2014 we completed nine camping trips; but only five were qualifying trips for the Camper Award. 

In April we visited: Watkins Mill State Park 
In May we visited: Wallace State Park
In June we visited: Table Rock State Park
In August we visited: Bennett Springs State Park
Over Labor Day we visited: Long Branch State Park


Besides visiting the different campgrounds you also have to have a staff from that park certify you were there. I almost lost the certificate a few times but I manged to keep track of it all summer long.  After our Labor Day trip, I mailed our completed certificate off to The Department of Natural Resources and waited about ten weeks before a package arrived at our house. The package held our certificates as well as our commemorative Camper Award patches and year bars!



                            

Also included in our Camper Award package was new information for me. If we participate for multiple years we are eligible for the Distinguished Camper Award. The Distinguished Camper Award i awarded for every five year of participating in the program so you can become a "Distinguished Missouri Camper!"  I just found a news article about a family who has earned the Camper Award every year for 30 consecutive years!

We maybe settling in to hibernate this winter cold right now but we are planning what Missouri State Parks we will be visiting in 2015. Weston Bend, Lewis and Clark, Crowder, Big Lake, Bennett Springs, Watkins, Wallace, Pershing are all fairly close considerations. As well as Elephant Rock, Johnson Shut-Ins, or Meramec are being considered for our big family vacation this year. Do you have any advice?

My geek-ness is screaming once again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband. He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly! So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself. I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough! I visited the local hardware store for the supplies: An exterior post lantern light 2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece) A 3 inch toilet flange A 3 inch to 2 inch Reducer PVC Glue A 12 foot electric cord kit 2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand: White Spray Paint 3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC Pipe Drill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch) Tent Stakes The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black i

Tonsillectomy (Warning Photos!)

The Short Chic came down with a pretty nasty case of strep throat back in April. So, when The Boy started complaining about his throat hurting about 12 days later, I was pretty confident that he had inherited his sister's strep. Instead, The Boy was diagnosed with a peritonsillar abscess growing on his right tonsil.  We had to immediately see an ENT  Physician who took a needle and drained the abscess. He removed about 5.5 cc of puss from The Boys throat.and then told us that once you have a peritonsillar abscess you were high risk to keep getting them. The Boy's tonsils were now compromised and needed to be removed.  We were told to plan for a two week recovery so we worked a surgery into our summer plans. Between family vacations, summer sports, and the beginning of school The Boy had his second surgery. A tonsillectomy.  Pre-surgery prepping went well. It must be nice to be young and have healthy veins for an IV! The Boy had lots of pre-surgery visitors. My

Liver Cheese: A Family Tradition

Today is an anniversary date. One of those dates you wish you did not have to remember but there is no way you can forget.  Fifteen years ago today,two days after his birthday, my father died of lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker and his cancer was aggressive. His battle was short. He fought for six short months after his diagnosis. He knew the chemo was not working and that his time was limited. When he came to this realization he became the best dad in the world.                                                In the days before my father's passing, my family shared some memorable moments. One of those moments centers around the deli meat: Liver Cheese.I would not be surprised if you have never heard of it, or even never tasted it. But I was raised on it as it was one of my Dad's favorite things.  What is it? Well, it is a German food that is actually called Leberkase. It is bacon, corned beef, pork, and onion that is ground together and baked. It comes with a