Skip to main content

My Shutter Project

I have been a little busy these past few days. Attempting to update one of the bedrooms in our rental house.

You see, someone way back when put decorative mirrors up on the wall. You know the kind, square mirrors speckled with gold. They scream 1972!!  They are glued to the wall, so removing them has felt like a daunting task.  A needed task, as a few years ago when we sided the house one of the panes of glass broke.

I set about updating this look this week. I found a great buy of used shutters on Craigslist! I got 12 of them for $30.00! So much cheaper than Home Depot!!

Removing the old glass mirrors proved to be just as difficult as I thought it would be. I literally had to chisel away pieces of mirror with a hammer and screw driver piece by piece. It seems like it took me hours but in reality it only took a few. Of course I do a super woman welcome to my friend LeAnn, who came over to smash glass with me one afternoon.   With LeAnn's help, I believe I put a total of two hours into smashing glass.

I had glass everywhere! All those cute curls I know have, well they did a great job of keeping that glass caught in my hair. Even LeAnn had glass particles everywhere. We were such a site!



Then came the clean up! I had put down a drop cloth but that glass was flying everywhere and went in places there was no drop cloth. My husband and I spent about half an hour just vacuuming up the carpet. Looking for shiny pieces of glass. I even took tape and ran it across parts of the carpet just to make sure it was all clear!

Once we had enough of the mirrors removed, we found the nails that held this piece of plywood up to the wall. With relative ease, we were able to pry it lose and remove it. I had strongly suspected that this part of the house had originally had a window that had been sided over. I was not wrong in my suspicions. There is was, a completely empty old frame for a window.

We made a quick stop at Lowes to buy some cheap white paneling. We cut it to size and covered the hole with it. Next, I prepped the shutters by removing the hinges and taking three of them apart. We measured the space and hung the shutters in place with screws.

The end result, a faux window.

In my opinion, a vast improvement over the 1970's gold speckled mirrors! My only disappointment, it is in a rental house and not my house. So, I won't get to see it everyday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband.

He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly!

So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself.

I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough!

I visited the local hardware store for the supplies:

An exterior post lantern light2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece)A 3 inch toilet flangeA 3 inch to 2 inch ReducerPVC GlueA 12 foot electric cord kit2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand:







White Spray Paint






3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC PipeDrill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch)Tent Stakes

The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black in the store and I knew I wanted all white. I covered the gla…

Camping Activity: Wood Chip Necklaces

My worry in taking a wide range of kids camping is that the younger kids would be happy just playing together but the older ones, the one's in that awkward pre-teen/teen age, would think everything was so uncool they would just sit around and mope. So I designed a few activities that would hopefully get them up, participating, and moving.

 I came home from work a few weeks before the Family Camp-out and found my neighbors had trimmed their tree limbs and piled the mess in my yard. I refrained from getting angry. Over a nice dinner, I asked The Husband to help me with a little project.

He looked at me in disgust. I was pulling him away from ESPN to help with an unnecessary camping craft.


 I admit I did some begging. In the end, The Husband borrowed his father's chainsaw and decided to help me cut medallions out of a limb.  His mood started changing, quickly.{I then begged him to let me try my hand at the chainsaw, but he would not let budge on that one. I had to settle for hol…

Hand Made Gifts: Tutu Ornaments

My  Short Chic is turning into a little dancer. To thank the dance teachers for their help, we decided to make them a little gift for Christmas. A tutu ornament.

Supplies needed:

Tulle. I selected black, white and hot pink. The pink and white both have glitter {I have been walking around for the past four days with glitter all over me!}. Glass Ornaments that coordinate with your tulle. Some kind of string {I used stretch magic}. And some super glue.

Step 1: Cut  the tulle. 


I learned, from trial and error, that my cell phone was roughly the right size. So, I used it as a template for cutting the tulle.  
Step 2: Tie the tulle to the string.

Using a simple slip knot, tie the tulle onto the string {or Stretch Magic}. I think I used about 40 loops per ornament.
Step 3:  Adhere it to the Ornament.
I do not have a photo of this step. But simply, you take some super glue and glue the tutu ring to the ornament. 
FINISHED!  Once the glue is dried, you are finished. {Well except the wrapping!} I …