He normally bounces back from these things and steals a few bases as his way of saying, "Take that!" But not last night. He had to be given a pinch runner. We iced it. It still hurt. He still could not move it.
Unfortunately, we only had 9 players last night. And after a little in-between inning drama, The Boy, took the field for the second inning. He wore a hat, but had no glove on. He held an ice pack. He had to take the field or we would have to forfeit. The Boy was not going to let that happen.
We waited out the game, which we won. Then we headed to the Emergency Room.
|One is a little bit more swollen than the other!|
We arrived at the Emergency Room about 10:40 p.m. We were told we were the third baseball player of the night. The other two players also ended up with broken bones. They also won their games as well.
They came and took us to a room. The x-ray people came. This was the first time I really allowed myself to think his arm might be broken, he could not get into a few of the positions the x-ray tech wanted him to do. Then they came back....more x-rays! By then I was a little concerned it was a larger break than I had suspected.
Finally, our ER doctor came in and told us it was a clean break right where it hurt. For your medical types, a non-displaced fracture of the ulna. Because it was a clean break (non-displaced) (the bones are still lined up) they would not need to cast it until next week. An Ortho doctor came in, looking very tired straight from surgery (another one of the ball players had to have surgery to put his break back together). He explained why they splint it and not cast it at this point.
Next, they came in and put a splint on his arm. It is a semi-hard cast that will provide stabilization and protection for a week. Allowing the swelling to go down before they put the cast on. The Ortho-Doc already told The Boy to be picking out his cast color!
|Staying awake was the hardest part of the night.|
As a follow up, I know our coach is second beating himself up for not stopping the game. Many of you reading might be thinking the same thing. But, in this house, we have NONE of those thoughts. The Boy and I made that decision. He was not going to leave that field and force a forfeit. Not at all.
Thanks for all the concerns and prayers! We appreciate it very much.