I recently stumbled onto this recipe in my Bloglovin feed, it was posted to FoodGawker. It is a Quinoa Power Salad from GMO Free Girl. In some effort to eat healthier and cleaner I made this salad up for my lunch this week.
Have your jumped on the Quinoa bandwagon? It is a whole grain that reminds me a lot of a cereal. It is full of fiber and protein. It comes in three varieties or colors: white (the most common), red, and even black. The Boy loves it. The Husband tolerates it and I really enjoy it. We have used it as a side dish in place of rice but this recipe features it.
Quinoa Power Salad
- 2 cups quinoa (I used red)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 head broccoli
- 5-6 large carrots
- 1 cup parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cilantro
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove
- Cook the quinoa in the both. ( I use my rice cooker to make perfect quinoa every time!)
- Slice carrots. (A mandolin makes quick work of them)
- Chop the broccoli into small pieces.
- Chop the parsley.
- Saute the carrots and broccoli in a skillet with a couple tablespoons of water. Not long, just enough to cook them. The carrots and broccoli should be bright in color.
- Make the dressing in a food processor. Add all the ingredients and blend.
- When the quinoa is finished cooking all everything together in a large bowl.
I portioned my Quinoa Power Salad out into lunch portions. The portions are really good size, about 2 1/4 cups per serving. Tammi and GMO Free Girl says that the longer you let the flavors marry the better it will taste.
According to My Fitness Pal, each serving of this salad has:
46 g carbohydrates
2 g fat
9 g protein
1 g sodium
Yummy! I love a lunch I can fix Sunday evening and have it available all week. Just what a busy mom needs!
What's in your lunchbox this week?