Skip to main content

DIY: Slip N' Slide

Have you ever noticed that people want what they don't have? 



My children want summer birthday's. They want to be like Olaf (you know that cute snowman from that movie about ice?) They want to play in the sun. Lounge on the beach. They want to celebrate their birthday's without overcoats and gloves. 

In fact, they want summer birthday's so badly, that one year The Boy forgave his birthday and opted to celebrate his half birthday...right smack in the middle of S U M M E R!

The Boy loved slip and slides but he always wanted one longer. To make his summer {half} birthday dreams come true, I created a large DIY Slip N' Slide for his "Half-Birthday" celebration.


I started this project off at the local home improvement store. I found 10 feet x 100 feet of plastic sheeting for less than $60.00. Plastic sheeting comes in different weights so I used the 6 mil which was pretty thick plastic.  It was a little bit on the pricey side but it was the highlight of the party I splurged.

For the Slip N' Slide, we used half the plastic sheeting.  I left the plastic sheeting folded in half and then cut it around 50 feet long. {I used the other half for a second Slip N' Slide latter.}




Set up is not difficult. It does help to have a large area with a slight slope to it. Of course, you need access to water.  The last item needed to make your own Slip N' Slide is some type of substance to provide the slip. I considered baby oil but ruled it out because I did not want the "slip" to stick with us all day.

I ended up settling for Baby Shampoo. It provided enough slip to make the slide a lot of fun and it did not grease out their clothing or hair.  I probably used three bottles of baby shampoo on this slide. 


The kids loved the slide! The adults loved the slide!! Look at how sweet and small The Short Chic was.  She hardly weighed anything back then. I am pretty sure we flung her down the slide. She did not mind at all!

Makes me once again wish I could slow down time.


I also made 1/2 birthday cupcakes for treats for the party. They were delish and easy to make. I just a pipped a 1/2 out melted chocolate candy bark onto wax paper. Once it set up, I used them as cupcake toppers.  They were a little fragile but really sturdier than you would have imagined them to be. 


Sorry, I just had to get one more look at that cute baby face. I miss it.

I have linked this post up to the following blogs:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tour of Missouri: Montauk State Park and The Ozark National Scenic Riverway

August has become our summer vacation month. Summer activities have usually wound down and we like to get one last hooray in before school starts.  This summer we decided to travel our own state and visit a few places we have been dreaming of visiting but were a little too far for a weekend road trip. Despite last minute vacation glitches we managed to pull out of Kansas City around 9:00 in the morning headed to Montauk State Park just outside of Licking, Missouri.  Montauk State Park is one of three state parks where you can trout fish in Missouri. We are frequent visitors of  Bennett Springs  State Park but not Montauk, just because of the travel distance from our house. (Bennett Springs is about 3 hours and Montauk is double that.) Setting up and settling in was relatively easy. We took a tour of the park and hiked around exploring the spring that feeds into the river. The Park stocks this river each night with trout. The fishermen like this river be...

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband. He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly! So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself. I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough! I visited the local hardware store for the supplies: An exterior post lantern light 2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece) A 3 inch toilet flange A 3 inch to 2 inch Reducer PVC Glue A 12 foot electric cord kit 2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand: White Spray Paint 3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC Pipe Drill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch) Tent Stakes The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black i...

How Hallmark Broke My Christmas Heart

Hallmark has broken my heart. Maybe even damaged a bit of my soul.  {YES, it sounds dramatic, but please read on to understand why!} My love for Hallmark started years ago when I was about 19-20 years old.  I was dating a boy who had invited me home with him for the holidays. He also happened to be moving from Texas to Missouri at the end of our holiday vacation and I was going to drive home with him.  His Momma gave him a box full of Christmas ornaments from Hallmark that she had been collecting for him for years. Since he was born. Two decades of memories that he cherished so much. I found it endearing. And I made a mental note that I would start a tradition when I had children. Well, my own kids came years later. But that year, I was blessed with a late-in-life baby brother. And I started his ornament collection. He got the "My First Christmas" ornament. At the same time, I found a super cool Star Trek ornament that my Dad would get a kick out of. Just like...