Skip to main content

Our Weekend


Last weekend one of the bloggers I follow posted about her weekend using photos. Normally, my weekends are filled with exciting things like: house cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, running to and from baseball practices, doing the dishes, ect. Who wants to see or know about those exciting parts of my life? That is correct: No one except maybe my mother!

But...this weekend! This week is different, this weekend is BUSY! I have tried my best to snag some photos of our weekends

Friday Night: Mexican Food! 

Never fails, after training 5/5 days, I am exhausted! I slept on the coach from 7 to 9, got up and went back to bed at 10:00.

After training all week long, all I wanted on Friday night was some Mexican Food and a Beer. My family raves about my homemade guacamole and not to brag but I do make a good guacamole. I came home from work and immediately began cutting tomatoes, chopping cilantro and onions, and mashing avocados. I threw together some pork quesadillas to go with the chips and guacamole. I am going to blame it on the avocados being a little too ripe or maybe on the fact that I was so tired, but the guacamole was not my best. But that beer, it was the best one I have had in a long time and it worked like a charm, I was passed out on the coach before the dishes finished drying.

Saturday Morning: Brunch with Girlfriends!
My girlfriends and I met for brunch at a "new" place in Parkville. I use quotation marks because the "new" place has been open for a year. Shabby Hattie's is a tea room and restaurant and I have heard several people comment on it in the past few weeks. So, I had to put it on my list of places to visit.
They have over 60 varieties of tea to chose from. That might have been the hardest choice of the morning!

Meeghan ordered the crepes filled with scrabbled eggs. The side was some super yummy potatoes.

Jen ordered the yogurt and granola parfait.It came with a side of lemon blueberry bread with Devonshire Cream. 
 
I ordered the asparagus quiche. It was so yummy!

The food was very good. The tea was excellent.  But one can not overlook how pretty the restaurant is. 

Myself and my girlfriends! How cute are those two pot tea pots?!!

Saturday afternoon: Ribs!

My husband decided at the last minute to spend Saturday using his new smoker. Once again he smoked beef and pork ribs. He also added a chicken this time because he loves me and I have been begging for a smoked chicken. Also for the first time, the husband also made his own bbq sauce. As our tradition has become, we stood around the kitchen island devouring the ribs and drinking a cold beer!
My Smokers! The Short Chic helped her Daddy soak the wood.

Baby Back Ribs

Ribs and Bud Light. Perfect weekend food. (Have I mentioned how cold it was outside? Or the fact that it was snowing!)

Beef ribs.
Saturday Evening: Disney On Ice!

My girlfriend Meeghan was able to get us great tickets for Disney on Ice. We took our short chics downtown for pizza and the show. The music was lots of fun, but seeing the smiles on the little girls faces made the night priceless!

Yummy Pizza!

Mommy has on the Alien hat and The Short Chic is wearing Buzz Lightyear. (which up until the show started was her favorite. But in the middle of the show, she decided Jesse was her favorite because Jesse is a girl and Buzz is a boy.)

Disney On Ice: Toy Story 3

Barbie and Ken were my favorites. Check out Barbie's Skate Covers. Love em!
Bed Time Saturday Night: Story Time
Despite being out super late, The Short Chic was wide awake when we got home. So we nestled up on the coach and read a favorite story: Pinkalicious. Which of course was followed up by Purplicisious and Goldilicious.


Sunday: Creative Time

Today has been spent doing those things we have to do: laundry, dishes, picking the boy up. But in between those tasks, I have completed a sewing project. I admire people who can sew. I wish I was good at it. I did get a sewing machine two Christmas' ago and I have used it, two times up till today. I took a sewing class in junior high (we all had to take a sewing class in junior high). We made aprons. I recall it being an unpleasant experience. My lines were not straight, I tore out more seams than I put in. OH, and I do not even like to think about the second attempt at sewing I made in junior high! Horrible!!

So with much trepidation, I attempted to make Mommy/Daughter matching aprons.  Today, I sat at my machine and sewed not one but TWO aprons! I finished both and I am very proud of them. Ms. Guest (my junior high sewing teacher) would be super proud of me, I have straight lines! My pointer finger on my right hand has been stabbed by needles and pins so many times today it is bruised and sore. I was so proud of myself that when the short chic refused to try her apron on I almost cried. She announced very defiantly that she does not like hearts and only likes flowers.  The best news is that after both of them were finished, she thought it was cool to match her Mommy!


And with that, it is bed time at our household. Afterall, tomorrow is Monday and we must stop all of this fun stuff and go to work! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband. He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly! So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself. I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough! I visited the local hardware store for the supplies: An exterior post lantern light 2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece) A 3 inch toilet flange A 3 inch to 2 inch Reducer PVC Glue A 12 foot electric cord kit 2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand: White Spray Paint 3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC Pipe Drill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch) Tent Stakes The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black i

Tonsillectomy (Warning Photos!)

The Short Chic came down with a pretty nasty case of strep throat back in April. So, when The Boy started complaining about his throat hurting about 12 days later, I was pretty confident that he had inherited his sister's strep. Instead, The Boy was diagnosed with a peritonsillar abscess growing on his right tonsil.  We had to immediately see an ENT  Physician who took a needle and drained the abscess. He removed about 5.5 cc of puss from The Boys throat.and then told us that once you have a peritonsillar abscess you were high risk to keep getting them. The Boy's tonsils were now compromised and needed to be removed.  We were told to plan for a two week recovery so we worked a surgery into our summer plans. Between family vacations, summer sports, and the beginning of school The Boy had his second surgery. A tonsillectomy.  Pre-surgery prepping went well. It must be nice to be young and have healthy veins for an IV! The Boy had lots of pre-surgery visitors. My

Liver Cheese: A Family Tradition

Today is an anniversary date. One of those dates you wish you did not have to remember but there is no way you can forget.  Fifteen years ago today,two days after his birthday, my father died of lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker and his cancer was aggressive. His battle was short. He fought for six short months after his diagnosis. He knew the chemo was not working and that his time was limited. When he came to this realization he became the best dad in the world.                                                In the days before my father's passing, my family shared some memorable moments. One of those moments centers around the deli meat: Liver Cheese.I would not be surprised if you have never heard of it, or even never tasted it. But I was raised on it as it was one of my Dad's favorite things.  What is it? Well, it is a German food that is actually called Leberkase. It is bacon, corned beef, pork, and onion that is ground together and baked. It comes with a