Skip to main content

Prep Work: The last step

Days until Chemo Starts: 2


Wayne and I had to report to North Kansas City Hospital at 6:00 a.m. for my last preparation step: getting the catheter.  Besides thinking we were to report to the Pavilion when really we were suppose to be in the Hospital, everything went really well.

When Jackie was here she gave me a few tips on how to deal with the Nurses who put in my IV. I have really bad veins; getting an IV in is sometimes very difficult. I always tell the Nurses but I am sure they hear this from many patients and they just really never listen. So, the good news, using Jackie's tips today's IV went in on the very first attempt and involved no pain!!

Today's surgery went well. I have a tiny incision on my chest just below my collar bone. Small enough to only need 2 stitches. My chest hurts. I have been icing it all day. After surgery they took a chest x-ray to see if everything was in its proper place. There was a small concern because the catheter is not as deep as they normally put it but the surgeon said he could not get it to go any deeper but it is in the correct place.

I have literally slept all day. The hospital gave me morphine and sent me home with Vicodin. The discomfort is minimal. Ice has helped.

Mom took the Short Chic home with her for the weekend. I am not sure what I will do without my little nurse. As soon as I got home today, she climbed into bed with me and just took care of Mommy with lots of hugs and kisses. And chatter. Lots of chatter! The boy leaves later today to spend the weekend with his Dad. Wayne and I get a weekend together and I get to recover from surgery!

Funny story to share from today: The hospital does not allow Wayne to go back into the pre-surgery area with me initially. They make him wait in the lobby until my blood work is done, IV is in, and I am wearing that god awful hospital gown.  Finally, Wayne is called back. He arrives just as this really loud beeping starts in the pre-surgery area. Wayne says as he approaches my room, "Am I the only one who can hear that?" I tell him "No, I can hear it too."  He is looking around at all the employees like, hello! make that noise stop. So I ask him, "Did you bring that noise in?"  Wayne's response was NO! But he did pull his phone off of his hip and looked and sure enough, that horrible noise was Wayne's alarm clock and he had brought that noise in with him!

Comments

  1. Leave it to Wayne... LOL.

    I am glad things are going well. Let us know if you need anything. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can just see him standing there looking around for the offender!! lol. glad you're home, and that it went well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tour of Missouri: Montauk State Park and The Ozark National Scenic Riverway

August has become our summer vacation month. Summer activities have usually wound down and we like to get one last hooray in before school starts.  This summer we decided to travel our own state and visit a few places we have been dreaming of visiting but were a little too far for a weekend road trip. Despite last minute vacation glitches we managed to pull out of Kansas City around 9:00 in the morning headed to Montauk State Park just outside of Licking, Missouri.  Montauk State Park is one of three state parks where you can trout fish in Missouri. We are frequent visitors of  Bennett Springs  State Park but not Montauk, just because of the travel distance from our house. (Bennett Springs is about 3 hours and Montauk is double that.) Setting up and settling in was relatively easy. We took a tour of the park and hiked around exploring the spring that feeds into the river. The Park stocks this river each night with trout. The fishermen like this river be...

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband. He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly! So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself. I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough! I visited the local hardware store for the supplies: An exterior post lantern light 2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece) A 3 inch toilet flange A 3 inch to 2 inch Reducer PVC Glue A 12 foot electric cord kit 2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand: White Spray Paint 3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC Pipe Drill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch) Tent Stakes The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black i...

How Hallmark Broke My Christmas Heart

Hallmark has broken my heart. Maybe even damaged a bit of my soul.  {YES, it sounds dramatic, but please read on to understand why!} My love for Hallmark started years ago when I was about 19-20 years old.  I was dating a boy who had invited me home with him for the holidays. He also happened to be moving from Texas to Missouri at the end of our holiday vacation and I was going to drive home with him.  His Momma gave him a box full of Christmas ornaments from Hallmark that she had been collecting for him for years. Since he was born. Two decades of memories that he cherished so much. I found it endearing. And I made a mental note that I would start a tradition when I had children. Well, my own kids came years later. But that year, I was blessed with a late-in-life baby brother. And I started his ornament collection. He got the "My First Christmas" ornament. At the same time, I found a super cool Star Trek ornament that my Dad would get a kick out of. Just like...